- Social Media Facts Affecting The Landscape in 2024
- Dominance of Video Content
- Influencer Marketing Dynamics
- Emergence of Social Search Engines
- Direct Messaging for Enhanced Engagement
- The Power of Shares and Authenticity
- The Rise of Telegram and LinkedIn
- TikTok’s Sustained Influence
- AI and Hyper-Personalization
- The Future of Social Commerce
- Social media facts impact your marketing
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the key trends in digital marketing and popular platforms for 2024?
- How will AI impact social media in 2024?
- Will social commerce continue to grow in 2024?
- What role do content creators and authenticity play in the future of social media?
- How can businesses leverage the power of shares on social media networks like Facebook?
The following social media facts highlight social media’s continued growth and influence, the dominance of certain platforms, and the emerging trends shaping the industry this year.
- There are 4.2 billion active social media users worldwide, which is 53.6% of the total global population.
- 74% of Americans are active social media users, and Facebook remains the most popular social media platform in the world, with over 2.8 billion daily users.
- Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook are the top three social media platforms expected to grow the most.
- Social media is about more than just apps and platforms; it’s a digital environment that’s reshaping the world of marketing.
- The top social trends for the year include the AI trend, the platform trend, the ROI trend, and industry trends.
Did you know that by 2024, it is estimated that over 4.41 billion internet users will be using social media worldwide? The landscape of social media, digital marketing trends, Instagram, and the metaverse is set to undergo significant transformations.
With new social media marketing trends and digital marketing trends on the horizon, brands must adapt their social media marketing strategies to stay relevant in engaging their target audience effectively. The prominence of social media, including Instagram and Facebook, has become a crucial aspect for businesses in the realm of digital marketing, requiring them to keep pace with the latest trends and statistics from Statista to maintain public relevance.
Social Media Facts Affecting The Landscape in 2024
Consider the following social media facts:
- Global Adoption and User Growth: The total number of social media users is projected to be 5.17 billion people in 2024, with an annual growth of about 300 million users. In the United States, the total number of social media users is projected to be over 313 million in 2024,
- Dominance of Major Platforms: Facebook maintains its top spot globally, with over 3 billion monthly active users, followed by YouTube with nearly 2.5 billion monthly active users, and Instagram with 2 billion monthly active users.
- Seismic Shifts and AI Integration: The social media landscape is experiencing seismic shifts, with the integration of AI features changing the way users interact with platforms. There will be a significant increase in the use of AI for customer support activities in 2024.
- Regulations and Content Moderation: Looming regulations for social content and platforms, including issues like hate speech, disinformation, freedom of speech, privacy, and national security, have become hot-button subjects for social media platforms. Regulations have been proposed and, in some cases, already passed, such as the Digital Services Act in the European Union.
- Platform-Specific User Growth: Instagram is predicted to increase its users by 50 million in 2024, reaching 1.4 billion, while TikTok is expected also to experience user growth.
Social media facts worth noting:
- Gen Z adults aged 18-24 report 90% usage of social media, while 88% of Millennials aged 25-34 use social media
- By 2027, it is projected that there will be a combined 135.5 million Gen Z and millennial social network users in the US, which is over half of the total US social network users.
- The most used social platforms for Gen Z are YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat, with almost 80% of Gen Zers and millennials having made purchases through social media.
- Both generations heavily use YouTube and Instagram, but Millennials are most often found on Facebook, while Gen Z focuses a lot of their attention on TikTok.
- When asked about their social media usage, 41% of Gen Z consumers say they anticipate using more social networks than they do today.
In 2024, Gen Z and millennials will dominate social media users on Instagram and Facebook, according to Statista. However, older generations of women in the US are also becoming more active on these social media platforms. Social media, including platforms like Instagram and Facebook, is increasingly popular among all age groups, indicating its widespread appeal across different demographics.
The user base of social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook, including active users, has expanded to include a diverse range of age groups. For example, while TikTok, a social media platform, initially gained popularity among younger users for its short-form video content, it has since attracted a broader audience encompassing various age segments.
Social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram are expected to continue evolving and introducing new features to enhance the overall user experience and engagement in the digital marketing industry, keeping up with current trends. The integration of advanced technologies like augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) is set to revolutionize the landscape of social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook in 2024, according to trends predicted by Statista.
For instance, Facebook’s parent company Meta Platforms Inc.’s vision for the metaverse involves creating immersive experiences that blend the physical and digital worlds, including social media ads, trends, reports, and networks worldwide.
The following social media statistics highlight the impact of these technologies:
- The global metaverse market size reached $29.26 billion in 2022 and is expected to exceed $100 billion by 2026.
- There are over 400 million monthly active users in the metaverse, with 51% of global users being 13 years old and below.
- 66% of internet users believe the metaverse has the potential to replace social media, with 42% believing it can partially replace social media.
- In a survey of US adults, 24% believe the metaverse could entirely supplant current social media platforms, while 42% believe that it will be used for social media but will not totally replace existing social media networks.
- Virtual reality (VR) holds a 48% market share among all metaverse technologies, followed by augmented reality (AR) with a 34% market share.
This transition toward the metaverse reflects a significant evolution in how individuals interact with social networks like Instagram and Facebook worldwide.
Short-form videos on social media platforms will gain even more popularity in 2024 as users continue to gravitate towards visually appealing and easily digestible content formats. The statistics below indicate that the preference for authenticity and relatability remains crucial.
- Last year, 90% of marketers worldwide said they would increase their short-form video budget.
- 73% of consumers prefer short-form videos to search for products or services.
- 57% of Gen Z prefer short videos to learn about products and services.
- Last year 33% of social media marketers said they plan to invest in short-form videos.
- Short-form videos are considered 2.5 times more engaging than long-form videos by consumers.
Platforms such as Instagram and Facebook have witnessed an increasing emphasis on visual storytelling through features like Reels, catering to the growing demand for short-form video content among users who prefer consuming information concisely yet impactfully.
Users are spending more time engaging with content and the engagement rate on social media platforms like Instagram and Facebook than ever before. Interactive features such as polls, quizzes, and challenges, along with hybrid content, drive higher engagement rates by encouraging active participation from users within their online communities on social media platforms like Facebook and Instagram.
The following social media facts back up the trends:
- TikTok maintains a healthy average engagement rate of 4.25%, compared to Instagram’s 0.60%, Facebook’s 0.15%, and Twitter’s 0.05%.
- Instagram business account posts get an average engagement rate of 0.54%.
- Four out of 10 LinkedIn users organically engage with a business page every week.
- Social media usage is expected to remain on an upward trajectory, with new features such as AI and AR ensuring that users stay glued to top social media platforms for longer periods of time each day.
- TikTok is expected to grow even more popular in 2024, and short-form video is still a dominant trend in social media.
Live streaming has also emerged as a prominent trend, shaping engagement patterns on various social networks such as Instagram and Facebook worldwide. Platforms like Twitch, Instagram, and Facebook have capitalized on social media trends by providing creators with tools that enable real-time interaction with their audiences through gaming sessions or other forms of live entertainment.
Dominance of Video Content
Among social media facts we can expect to impact content is that social media will be all about short-form videos. You’ve probably heard of TikTok, right? Well, it’s not just TikTok that will be taking over the social media world. There are other platforms like Reels on Instagram and Facebook that will also be huge. These short videos are changing the game when it comes to how we watch and enjoy content.
@heartdefensor air force 1 valentine’s day edition 💗🤍 my favorite sneaker in my shoe collection #nike #nikeairforce1 #airforce1 ♬ Pretty Girl – Clairo
You see before short-form videos came along, we used to watch long videos on YouTube or scroll through endless pictures on Instagram. But now, with TikTok and other platforms, we can watch quick videos that are only a few seconds long. It’s like getting a little taste of something without having to commit to watching a whole video. So why are these short-form videos so popular?
Well, for one, they’re super easy to consume. You can watch them while you’re waiting in line at the grocery store or during a commercial break on TV. They’re also really fun to make. You can lip-sync to your favorite songs or show off your dance moves. It’s a way to express yourself and show the world what you’re all about.
But it’s not just individuals who love short-form videos. Brands are jumping on the bandwagon, too. They’re using platforms like Instagram and Facebook to tell stories and promote their products. Instead of just posting a picture or writing a caption, they can create a whole video that captures their brand’s personality and engages with their audience.
Take Nike, for example. They could post a picture of their latest shoe on Instagram and write a caption about how great it is. Instead, they could create a short video showing someone wearing the shoe while they run through the streets of New York City. It tells a story and makes you feel like you’re part of something bigger. And that’s why short-form videos are going to dominate social media in 2024. They’re a way to connect with people on a deeper level and share experiences.
For instance, brands can create entertaining and informative short videos that showcase their products or services on Instagram and Facebook in a fun and engaging way. By effectively communicating their brand message on Facebook, they can resonate with modern consumers who favor concise and visually appealing content.
Furthermore, these YouTube shorts encourage sharing among users on Facebook due to their easily consumable nature and likes. This sharing behavior amplifies the reach of branded content across various social media platforms, thereby increasing brand visibility and fostering community engagement.
Live streaming is anticipated to remain a powerful tool for brands seeking to connect with their audience on social media in 2024. The real-time interaction facilitated by live streams allows users to engage directly with influencers and brands during events or product launches. This fosters an authentic connection between the brand representatives and consumers.
For example, companies can host live Q&A sessions, behind-the-scenes glimpses, or interactive product demonstrations through live streaming features on platforms like Instagram or Facebook. Such initiatives enable brands to establish transparency while building trust among their followers by providing unfiltered access to relevant information about products or services.
Live streaming offers an avenue for businesses to humanize their brand image by showcasing the humans behind the organization. By allowing viewers into the company’s inner workings through live video broadcasts, brands can create meaningful connections that resonate with audiences on a personal level.
The integration of Augmented Reality (AR) is set to become more prevalent across various social media platforms in 2024. AR filters, effects, and virtual try-on experiences and testing are expected to enhance user engagement and provide innovative ways for brands to interact with their target audience.
Brands will be able to utilize AR features within social media applications as part of immersive marketing strategies to create memorable experiences for consumers.
Influencer Marketing Dynamics
The recent We Are Social report provides a breakdown of those who follow influencers on social media.
Micro influencers are set to play a significant role in influencer marketing on social media in 2024. Their niche expertise and highly engaged followers, experts, make them valuable for targeted marketing.
Check out the following social media facts
- Micro-influencers comprise 47.3% of all influencers, making them the largest group among all tiers, while celebrities, macro-, and mega-influencers account for only 0.5-6.5% of all content creators.
- 90% of surveyed marketers prefer working with micro-influencers, which is a 10% increase from the previous year.
- Micro-influencers can often have just as big an impact as those with larger followings due to their genuine and personalized interactions with their audience.
- Micro-influencers generate up to 60% more engagement than macro-influencers.
For instance, a fitness enthusiast with 20,000 Instagram followers can effectively promote workout gear to an audience interested in health and wellness.
These micro influencers offer cost-effective options for brands with limited budgets. They typically charge lower fees than macro or mega influencers while providing access to specific demographics. This allows smaller businesses or startups to engage in influencer collaborations without breaking the bank on a project.
In the realm of influencer marketing, nano influencers will gain prominence due to their smaller but highly engaged audiences. These individuals may have as few as 1,000 active followers but boast high engagement rates among their community of humans.
Check out the social media statistics around nano influencers below:
- With less than 1,000 to 5,000 followers, nano-influencers have the highest engagement rate at 2.53%.
- Nano-influencers consistently achieve the highest engagement rate, with an average of 3.69%.
- They typically operate within a super niche community and have built an active and loyal following susceptible to recommendations.
- Nano-influencers often work with brands for little to no pay, instead receiving free products in exchange for a review or endorsement on social media.
For example, a food blogger with 2,000 dedicated followers can significantly influence the purchasing decisions of her audience when she recommends certain kitchen gadgets or ingredients.
Brands are keen on leveraging these nano influencers’ authentic connections with their audiences to drive conversions and sales. Due to their more modest following sizes, women often cultivate deeper relationships and trust within their communities compared to larger-scale influencers.
Dunkin’ Donuts is one of the more well-known companies that’s marketing to Gen Z on TikTok.
Collaborations between brands and influencers will continue to be a successful strategy for marketers looking to tap into social media’s vast user base in 2024. The rise of short-form video platforms like TikTok and YouTube shorts has revolutionized the way users consume content.
- Brands are projected to spend $7.14 billion on influencer marketing in 2024
- TikTok maintains a healthy average engagement rate of 4.25%, making it a powerful marketing stage for brand interaction.
- Influencers on TikTok with less than 15,000 followers see an engagement rate of 17.96%, surpassing Instagram’s 3.86% average.
- Social media usage is expected to remain on an upward trajectory, with new features such as AI and AR ensuring that users stay engaged with top social media platforms for longer periods of time each day.
It is imperative for brands engaging in influencer collaborations to carefully select individuals whose values align closely with those of the brand itself. The rise of short-form video platforms like TikTok and YouTube shorts has revolutionized the way users consume content.
Emergence of Social Search Engines
Platforms as Information Sources
Social media platforms have become primary sources of news and information. The following social media facts prove it.
- Facebook remains a significant source of news, with 31% of Americans regularly getting news from the platform.
- Twitter and Instagram are regular news sources for 13% and 11% of Americans, respectively.
- YouTube is a prominent platform for news, with 22% of Americans regularly getting news from the site.
- TikTok is also emerging as a source of news, with 14% of Americans regularly getting news from the platform.
Users increasingly rely on social media for real-time updates, trending topics, and experts. For instance, during natural disasters or breaking news events, people often turn to social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook for the latest developments in crisis. Brands sharing information on these platforms need to ensure accuracy and credibility in their posts to maintain trust with their audience.
In a world where online searches are no longer limited to traditional search engines, it’s crucial for businesses to recognize the influence of social media as an information source. The search volume on social networks is significant, making them integral channels for disseminating information.
As social media continues its transformation into a vital hub for information discovery, brands must adapt their digital marketing strategies accordingly. The following image shows the web traffic referrals by platform.
Search engine optimization (SEO) strategies will evolve to accommodate changing algorithms on these platforms. This evolution necessitates optimizing content for discoverability and relevance – not just within traditional search engines but also within the internal search features of various social networks.
Consider the following social media facts:
- There are 4.8 billion social media users worldwide, representing 59.9% of the global population and 92.7% of all internet users.
- Worldwide, people spend an average of 2 hours and 28 minutes per day on social media, and over 75% of the world’s population aged 13+ uses social media.
- Facebook has the largest social media advertising market share at 16% and $247.30 billion of the total ad spending in the social media advertising market will be generated.
- 81% of organizations use social media to raise brand awareness, and 71% of B2C organizations will engage in influencer marketing.
For example, Instagram’s algorithm prioritizes content based on users’ past interactions with the accounts they follow. Therefore, understanding user behavior becomes essential in crafting effective SEO strategies tailored specifically for each platform.
Moreover, utilizing relevant keywords and hashtags is critical in boosting organic reach across social search engines. By incorporating popular industry-related terms or trending hashtags into posts, brands can increase visibility among users interested in those topics.
Direct Messaging for Enhanced Engagement
Social media platforms in 2024 will prioritize personalized experiences for users.
- According to an Accenture report, 83% of consumers are willing to share data with brands to receive personalized experiences.
- 60% of consumers say they’ll become repeat customers after a personalized shopping experience.
- 80% of consumers will share personal data in exchange for deals or offers.
- 74% of eCommerce companies have a website personalization program.
- The global personalization software market was worth an estimated $943 million in 2022 and is expected to grow this year.
- Website personalization is used by 56% of companies.
Algorithms will curate content based on individual preferences and behaviors, ensuring that users see the most relevant posts and updates. For example, if a user frequently engages with fitness-related content, the platform will show more of such posts on their feed.
Brands can leverage personalization to deliver tailored messages to their target audience. By understanding the interests and behaviors of their followers, companies can create content that resonates with them. This could include personalized product recommendations or exclusive offers based on previous interactions with the brand.
Moreover, social media platforms will continue to be important channels for customer service interactions in 2024. Consider the following social media statistics.
- 76% of consumers value how quickly a brand can respond to their needs, and nearly 70% expect a response within 24 hours or less.
- 67% of customers find contacting customer support on social media convenient.
- 33% of Instagram users who communicate with businesses via the platform said a brand should respond to their complaint within an hour.
- 84% of US consumers who sent customer service requests through social media say they have received a response from the company.
- 71% of consumers who experience positive social customer care are likely to recommend the brand to others.
Customers often turn to platforms like Facebook Messenger when they have queries or complaints about a product or service. Brands should provide prompt responses and resolutions to customer issues through direct messaging.
Effective customer service on social media enhances brand reputation and loyalty, showing that a company values its customers‘ concerns and is dedicated to resolving them swiftly. For instance, a quick response from a brand addressing a crisis raised by a customer publicly on social media can not only resolve the problem but also demonstrate transparency and care towards all customers who witness the interaction.
The Power of Shares and Authenticity
User-generated content (UGC) is a potent tool for brand authenticity. Encouraging users to create and share content related to the brand drives engagement. Users sharing their experiences with a product or service provides social proof that influences potential customers.
- 75.78% of consumers have used social media to search for or discover products, brands, and experiences.
- 69.08% of marketers feel ratings and reviews are important to their conversion rates.
- 6 in 10 marketers report that their audience engages more with UGC in marketing and communications.
- User-generated content takes the lead as the most engaging content type on social media, confirmed by 54% of marketers.
- 86% of brands and retailers believe that more authentic UGC in their paid and owned media would be effective.
For example, when a customer posts about their positive experience with a particular brand on social media, it can influence their friends and followers to try the same product or service.
Moreover, UGC amplifies the reach of brands as it is often shared among wider circles than branded content. This organic sharing by users extends the brand’s visibility beyond its immediate audience. As such, brands should actively encourage and facilitate user-generated content creation through campaigns, contests, or interactive features on social media platforms.
Building trust with social media users is paramount for authenticity in branding efforts. Transparent communication fosters trust between brands and consumers. By openly addressing concerns or criticisms from customers on social media platforms, companies demonstrate accountability and build credibility in the eyes of their audience.
Furthermore, ethical practices and data privacy are essential for fostering trust among consumers in today’s digital landscape, where misinformation abounds. Brands must ensure that they communicate accurate information while maintaining ethical standards in all aspects of their operations.
The Rise of Telegram and LinkedIn
Super App Features
Social media platforms in 2024 are expected to incorporate more super-app features like shopping, payments, and food delivery. Users will be able to access multiple services within a single platform, enhancing convenience. For example, they can browse through products from various brands without leaving the social media app. This integration of diverse functionalities into one platform streamlines the user experience.
Brands can also leverage these super app features to streamline the customer journey. They can create a seamless path for users from discovering their products or services to making a purchase without requiring them to switch between different apps or websites. This enhances user convenience and increases the likelihood of conversion for businesses.
With integrated payment options on social media platforms, users can make purchases directly within the app. This eliminates the need for navigating away from the platform, reducing friction in the purchasing process and potentially boosting sales for businesses.
- Benefits of super app features:
- Enhanced user convenience
- Streamlined customer journey
- Increased likelihood of conversion
Gen Z Appeal
In 2024, Gen Z’s preferences will heavily influence social media trends. Brands need to understand and cater to Gen Z’s values and interests in order to stay relevant in this evolving landscape.
Authenticity is key when targeting Gen Z on social media platforms. They value genuine content that resonates with their experiences and emotions rather than overly curated or promotional material. Brands that successfully convey authenticity are likely to build stronger connections with this demographic segment.
Moreover, social causes significantly shape Gen Z’s engagement with brands on social media. Companies that align themselves with meaningful causes and demonstrate genuine commitment towards societal issues are more likely to capture the attention and loyalty of Gen Z consumers.
Personalized experiences are also crucial when appealing to Gen Z on social media platforms as they seek tailored content that reflects their individuality and preferences. Platforms offering personalized recommendations based on users’ behaviors are expected to gain traction among this demographic group due to their preference for customized interactions and higher engagement rates.
- Strategies for appealing to Gen Z:
- Emphasizing authenticity
- Aligning with meaningful social causes
- Providing personalized experiences
By incorporating super app features
TikTok’s Sustained Influence
The images below highlight TikTok’s powerful audience reach.
Video content remains a dominant force in social media and is expected to continue its reign in 2024.
- There are 102.3 million users in the U.S. alone, and the number of users is expected to increase to 121.1 million by 2027.
- The number of TikTok users worldwide is expected to reach 1.2 billion by the end of 2024
- TikTok recently surpassed a huge milestone: 1 billion global active users, which is 18% of internet users worldwide.
- TikTok has about 80 million monthly active users in the United States, with 60% being female and 40% male. 60% are between the ages of 16-24, and 26% are between the ages 25-44. 80% are between the ages of 16-34.
- Marketers have the potential to reach 1.09 billion users with ads on TikTok.
The rise of short-form video platforms like TikTok and YouTube shorts has revolutionized the way users consume content. Vertical videos, specifically popularized by TikTok, are projected to maintain their prevalence as they offer an immersive viewing experience and have an upward trajectory. Brands that embrace this trend can effectively capture the attention of their target audience and create engaging promotional material.
Investing in high-quality video production will be crucial for brands looking to stay relevant on social media platforms such as TikTok. Immersive storytelling techniques, often employed by successful TikTok creators, will also gain traction among marketers aiming to establish authentic connections with their audience. By leveraging these trends, brands can ensure that their marketing strategies align with the preferences of TikTok users while maximizing engagement and visibility.
- Brands should invest in vertical video production
- Immersive storytelling techniques will gain popularity
- High-quality video production by a content creator is crucial for brand relevance on social media.
Gen Z Domination
In 2024, it is anticipated that Generation Z will solidify its position as the largest consumer demographic across various social media platforms, including TikTok.
- Just over 80% of US Gen Zers ages 15 to 26 use YouTube monthly, and almost the same percentage use Instagram or TikTok.
- Gen Z’s most used social platforms are YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, and Snapchat.
- 54% of Gen Zers use social media for four or more hours daily, and 66% of the Gen Z population says social media is integral to their daily lives.
- By 2027, 80.9% of the Gen Z population will be on Instagram, compared with 71.9% on TikTok.
- The share of U.S. male Gen Z using Facebook is 45%, while the share of U.S. female Gen Z using Snapchat is 70%, and the share of U.S. male Gen Z using Instagram is 73%.
With significant purchasing power and immense influence over digital trends, Gen Z presents itself as a prime target for brands seeking sustainable growth through social commerce initiatives.
Understanding the behavior and preferences of Gen Z is paramount for businesses looking to capitalize on this demographic’s potential impact. The rise of short-form video platforms like TikTok and YouTube shorts has revolutionized the way users consume content. Recognizing these nuances enables brands to tailor their messaging effectively when targeting Gen Z consumers through avenues like TikTok Shop, where seamless integration between entertainment and shopping experiences takes place.
AI and Hyper-Personalization
Optimizing text content for search engines and algorithms is crucial in 2024. Brands can improve their discoverability by utilizing keywords, hashtags, and metadata. High-quality visuals, compelling headlines, engaging captions, and relevant topics are essential for effective content optimization. For instance, using trending hashtags related to the brand’s niche can significantly boost visibility on social media platforms.
In addition to this, content creators creating visually appealing graphics or videos that resonate with the target audience can enhance engagement. Moreover, crafting captivating headlines on the topic that pique users’ interest is vital for drawing attention to the content. By focusing on these aspects of content optimization, brands can effectively elevate their presence on social media platforms.
- Utilize keywords
- Incorporate trending hashtags
- Create high-quality visuals
Social Media Management
Effective social media management plays a pivotal role in ensuring brand success in 2024. Consistent posting schedules help maintain a strong online presence while fostering community engagement fosters meaningful connections with the audience. Tracking analytics provides valuable user behavior, preferences, and data privacy insights.
Furthermore, leveraging social media management tools streamlines tasks such as scheduling posts across multiple platforms and monitoring engagement metrics efficiently. These tools enable brands to analyze data regarding their followers’ demographics and interactions with posts—ultimately aiding in refining future content strategies.
- Maintain consistent posting schedules
- Foster community engagement
- Leverage social media management tools
By incorporating these practices into their social media strategy approach in 2024, brands can harness the power of AI-driven hyper-personalization to connect more deeply with their audiences.
The Future of Social Commerce
Social media platforms in 2024 will further integrate shopping features, allowing users to make purchases directly within the app. Check out the social media facts below.
- The social commerce share of online retail sales in the U.S. stands at 4.4%, with social buyers making up 32% of all online consumers.
- 71% of users are more likely to purchase products and services based on social media referrals, and 54% of social media users conduct product research on the platform.
- 40% of Americans have bought something after seeing it on social media, and 44% of Generation Z have bought something after a social influencer’s recommendation, compared to 26% of the general population.
- 17% of consumers said they’ve bought something directly from a social platform in the past three months alone, with the number being higher among millennials (27%) and Gen Z (22%).
- 64% of U.S. internet users discovered brands through social media channels, and 34% used social media sites to make purchases.
This means that brands need to optimize their product listings and provide seamless shopping experiences for customers. For instance, Instagram’s “Checkout” feature enables users to purchase products without leaving the app, streamlining the buying process. Integrating such shopping options, social media platforms are transforming into full-fledged e-commerce hubs.
With this integration, brands can reach potential customers more effectively by showcasing their products where users spend significant time – on social media. Hyper-personalization powered by AI can also enhance this experience by recommending products based on individual user preferences and behaviors. As a result, businesses have an opportunity to increase sales through targeted marketing strategies tailored to each user’s interests and needs.
The convenience of making purchases without leaving the platform is appealing to consumers as it saves time and effort. With integrated payment options and secure transactions, users can shop with confidence directly from their favorite social media apps.
In 2024, audio content such as podcasts and voice-based interactions will gain traction on social media platforms. These social media trends are indicative of what we can expect.
- 73% or an estimated 209 million people of the U.S. 12+ population are listening to online audio on a monthly basis, up from 68% in 2021, which is about 16 million more listeners. 67% or an estimated 192 million people are weekly listeners, up from 62% in 2021, which is about 16 million more listeners.
- 75% of Americans ages 12 and older have listened to online audio in the past month, while 70% have listened in the past week.
- Among 16- to 24-year-olds, 91.1% listened to digital audio in H1 2022, representing a significant increase from the previous year.
- The average daily listening time of people who listen to spoken-word audio is two hours or 48% of the population aged 13 and over. Spoken word listening now makes up 26% of total listening, up from 24% in 2019.
Brands can leverage these audio options for storytelling, interviews, and educational content like tutorials or industry insights, which offer value-added engagement for their audience. Platforms like Clubhouse have already popularized live audio discussions among users worldwide.
Users enjoy consuming audio content while multitasking; they can listen to text while commuting or doing household chores – making it a convenient way to stay engaged with valuable information even when occupied with other activities. This shift toward audio presents an opportunity for brands to connect with audiences in new ways that resonate deeply through personal narratives or immersive storytelling experiences.
Social media facts impact your marketing
In 2024, social media continues to revolutionize how we connect, consume content, and shop. Video content dominates platforms, capturing attention and driving engagement. Influencer marketing has evolved into a powerhouse, shaping consumer preferences and brand perceptions. Social search engines are changing the way we discover information, while direct messaging enhances personalized interactions. The power of shares and authenticity remains paramount, influencing trends and shaping online communities. Telegram and LinkedIn are on the rise, offering unique networking, professional opportunities, and an upward trajectory. TikTok maintains its influence, driving cultural phenomena and viral trends. AI-driven hyper-personalization and hybrid content are reshaping user experiences, and social commerce is becoming more integrated and seamless.
As the social media landscape evolves, it’s crucial to adapt your strategies to stay ahead. Embrace video content, leverage influencer partnerships, and prioritize authentic engagement. Stay updated on emerging platforms like Telegram and LinkedIn to expand your professional network. Harness the power of AI and humans for personalized interactions and explore the potential of social commerce for your business growth.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the key trends in digital marketing and popular platforms for 2024?
In 2024, social media will witness a surge in video content, dominance of influencer marketing, emergence of social search engines, and enhanced engagement through direct messaging. The rise of Telegram and LinkedIn, along with the sustained influence of TikTok, will shape the landscape.
How will AI impact social media in 2024?
AI will revolutionize social media by enabling hyper-personalization, enhancing user experiences, and optimizing content delivery. It will empower businesses to create targeted campaigns and provide personalized recommendations to users based on their preferences.
Will social commerce continue to grow in 2024?
Yes, the future of social commerce looks promising as platforms integrate seamless shopping experiences within their interfaces. With advanced features like shoppable posts and live shopping events gaining traction, brands can directly engage with consumers and drive sales through social media.
What role do content creators and authenticity play in the future of social media?
Authenticity is paramount for establishing trust and connection with audiences. In 2024, genuine interactions and transparent brand communication will be pivotal for fostering meaningful relationships with users amidst an environment saturated with digital noise.
How can businesses leverage the power of shares on social media networks like Facebook?
Businesses can encourage sharing by creating compelling content that resonates emotionally or provides valuable insights. Leveraging user-generated content also fosters a sense of community while incentivizing shares through contests or interactive campaigns.