Are you struggling to achieve predictable B2B growth in your business? Wondering how to navigate the complex world of B2B relationships and achieve long-term success?
Look no further! In this episode of Predictable B2B Success, we have a special guest, Oscar Torres, founder and director of a renowned B2B management program and business transformation program for CEOs at ESADE. With over 22 editions and 500 participants, Oscar’s program has cemented its place as one of the top executive education programs worldwide. But what sets Oscar’s program apart?
Join our host, Vinay Koshy, as he dives deep into Oscar’s insights on managing employee behaviors, codifying company culture, and the critical role of B2B marketing in scaling your business. Discover why clients are more interested in value than the product itself, and learn how to build a team of analytical thinkers who can connect the dots and analyze solutions with evidence of value.
Oscar even reveals the secrets behind selling raw materials to the pharmaceutical industry and how traceability can reflect your organization’s capability. Tune in now and unlock the key to achieving predictable success in your B2B endeavors!
Watch the episode
About Oscar Torres
Oscar Torres is the founder and director of a prominent B2B Management program at ESADE, that aims to address the lack of focus on business-to-business (B2B) companies in traditional business schools. With a background in engineering and subsequent business education that heavily focused on business-to-consumer (B2C) practices, Oscar recognized the need to bridge this gap in education. Realizing that the majority of companies around the world operate in a B2B capacity, Oscar founded the program six to seven years ago to provide specialized training in B2B management. The program has gained attention for its unique approach and has become a go-to course for executives seeking to enhance their skills in the B2B sphere. Oscar and his team of seasoned faculty offer a comprehensive and concentrated five-day curriculum, ensuring participants gain the necessary knowledge and expertise to excel in the B2B industry.
Unlocking Predictable B2B Growth with Oscar Torres
Welcome to another exciting episode of the Predictable B2B Success podcast. In this episode, we have the privilege of hosting Oscar Torres, founder and director of a renowned B2B management program and business transformation program for CEOs. With his extensive experience and expertise in the field, Oscar shares valuable insights on understanding and managing B2B dynamics, achieving predictability, and building a culture that drives success in the B2B industry.
Understanding B2B Behavior and Codifying Company Culture:
Oscar Torres emphasizes that achieving predictability in business requires a deep understanding of employee behavior. Codifying company culture is crucial in creating an environment where employees align with the organization’s goals and contribute to achieving predictability. By clearly defining and implementing the company’s culture, businesses can foster a sense of unity and purpose, ensuring every employee is working toward the same objectives.
The Lifecycle of B2B Relationships:
In the conversation, Oscar highlights the importance of viewing B2B relationships as a process rather than a one-time transaction. He emphasizes the significance of lifetime value and customer loyalty in B2B relationships. By nurturing long-term relationships and providing consistent value, businesses can create a competitive edge and drive predictable success.
The Role of B2B Marketing:
Oscar underlines the critical role of B2B marketing in scaling and achieving predictability. He suggests that specialized B2B marketing personnel are essential in crafting effective strategies that attract and retain clients. However, he also stresses that B2B marketing should focus on conveying the value offered by a company rather than solely promoting the product. Clients are more interested in the solutions a company provides and the impact it can have on their business.
Building the Right Team:
When it comes to building a successful B2B organization, Oscar emphasizes the importance of hiring individuals who enjoy the discovery phase of understanding the client’s problems. Intellectual diversity within the team can lead to innovative solutions and better outcomes. He believes hiring analytical individuals who can connect the dots, frame problems, and analyze solutions with evidence of value is crucial for shaping a high-performing team.
Traceability and Competitive Advantage:
Oscar delves into the significance of traceability in B2B, specifically in selling raw materials to the pharmaceutical industry. He highlights that traceability is not just a reflection of the product itself but also showcases the organization’s capability. In today’s competitive landscape, B2B success is not just about the product; it involves the management model and the organization’s culture. Unique behaviors and cultures are difficult to copy, providing a sustainable competitive advantage.
Differentiating KPIs for B2B and B2C:
A key realization made during the conversation is that the same key performance indicators (KPIs) may not be applicable to both B2B and B2C environments. Oscar explains that B2B relationships usually have longer sales cycles and require more emphasis on building relationships. Thus, leading KPIs that focus on understanding and nurturing client relationships become crucial in the B2B context. He suggests that companies should be clear about having separate KPIs for their B2B and B2C strategies to measure their efforts and results effectively.
The Importance of B2B Education:
Oscar identified a knowledge gap in the education and business world when it comes to B2B. He founded a program focused entirely on B2B management to bridge this gap and attract individuals interested in excelling in the B2B space. With the majority of companies engaged in B2B, professionals must have a comprehensive understanding of the unique challenges and strategies associated with this sector.
Cultural Shift and CEO Influence:
To foster a culture that promotes curiosity, helpfulness, and customer-centricity, Oscar suggests a top-down approach. He proposes that the CEO should embody the desired culture and consistently execute the desired behavior. By asking different questions and focusing on solving client problems, the CEO can influence the mindset of the C-level executives and the management team. However, he cautions that change management is challenging and maintaining new behavior for at least six months is crucial for lasting impact.
The Role of Organizational Structure:
Oscar emphasizes that in B2B business, how a company is organized is more important than market conditions. Many businesses fail to make the connection between organizational structure and business outcomes. During his program, C-level executives and founders of B2B companies are often surprised to realize the unique implications of being in the B2B industry. Understanding and actively shaping organizational structure’s impact can be a powerful tool for achieving predictable success in the B2B space.
Understanding the Importance of Organization and Culture in B2B Business:
According to Oscar Torres, the founder of a highly successful B2B management program, many business leaders fail to recognize the direct correlation between organizational structure, culture, and business outcomes. Torres, who is also a professor at a prestigious MBA program, stresses that the way a company is organized and its culture play pivotal roles in achieving predictability and staying ahead in the B2B industry.
Key Takeaway 1: Organizing for Predictable B2B Growth
Torres highlights that a B2B management model tailored to your organization is vital. Here are actionable insights to help you optimize your organizational structure for B2B success:
1. Analytical Connectors: Building a team comprising individuals who possess analytical skills and can connect the dots is crucial. Seek those who can frame problems and analyze solutions with evidence of value.
2. Fostering Intellectual Diversity: Hiring individuals who enjoy the discovery of new situations brings fresh perspectives and fuels innovation. Encourage diversity of thought, as it can drive creativity and problem-solving.
3. Talent Sourcing: Recognize the key skills required for B2B success during the hiring process. Look for candidates who thrive in complex environments and exhibit a curiosity-driven mindset.
Key Takeaway 2: Cultivating a B2B Culture
An organization’s culture is a powerful tool that can set your business apart from the competition. Here’s how you can cultivate a culture that drives B2B success:
1. Shift Focus: Encourage a top-down mindset that sees selling as helping. Foster a culture of curiosity-driven questioning that focuses on solving client problems.
2. Embody the Culture: The CEO plays a pivotal role in shaping the company culture. Lead by example by reading a culture statement every morning, demonstrating the desired behavior.
3. Implementation and Change Management: Implement the desired culture through actions, not just words. Change management is crucial, and consistent behavior must be observed for at least six months to solidify the new culture.
Actionable Insights for Predictable B2B Growth:
Now that we’ve explored the significance of organizational structure and company culture let’s dive deeper into actionable insights shared by Oscar Torres:
1. Value Over Product: In B2B, clients are more interested in a company’s value than the product itself. Focus on demonstrating your solution’s value and how it aligns with their specific needs.
2. B2B Marketing: Effective B2B marketing is critical in scaling and achieving predictability. Invest in specialized B2B marketing personnel to drive targeted campaigns and nurture leads.
3. Measuring the Right Data: Understand the distinction between leading and lagging data, and measure the right metrics to gauge your B2B success. Focus on tracking leading indicators that reflect your efforts toward achieving desired results.
4. B2B Relationships: View B2B relationships as a process with a focus on lifetime value and customer loyalty. Build lasting connections by understanding your client’s needs and consistently delivering solutions that add value.
In this insightful episode of the Predictable B2B Success podcast, we had the opportunity to learn from Oscar Torres, a seasoned expert in B2B management and business transformation. From understanding the role of behavior and codifying company culture to the significance of B2B marketing and traceability, Oscar provided valuable insights on achieving predictable B2B success. By focusing on building the right team, differentiating KPIs, and shaping the organization’s structure, businesses can create a culture that promotes success and consistently delivers value to their clients.
In the dynamic world of B2B business, achieving predictability and success is attainable with the right organizational structure and company culture. As highlighted by Oscar Torres, organizing for B2B success and cultivating a B2B culture can set your business apart from the competition. By implementing the actionable insights provided in this post, you can create a robust foundation for predictable B2B success. Remember, in B2B, it’s not just about the product you offer; it’s about the way your organization is organized and the culture you nurture that truly makes a difference.
Some areas we explore in this episode include:
- The importance of understanding and managing employee behavior for business predictability.
- Codifying company culture for achieving predictability.
- Viewing B2B relationships as a process and focusing on lifetime value and customer loyalty.
- Measuring the right data and distinguishing between leading and lagging data is significant.
- The critical role of B2B marketing in scaling and achieving predictability.
- The value of offering solutions rather than just products to B2B clients.
- The importance of hiring individuals who enjoy the discovery phase of understanding client problems.
- Building a team with analytical individuals who can connect the dots and analyze solutions based on evidence of value.
- The importance of traceability in selling raw materials to the pharmaceutical industry.
- The impact of organizational structure and culture on B2B success.
- And much, much more.
Listen to the episode
Related links and resources
- Check out Oscar’s program at ESADE
- Check out Oscar’s articles on Forbes here and here
- Learn from Fred Copestake – 5+ Ways to Building Trust With Clients That Drive Predictable Growth
- Learn more from Sreelesh Pillai – 8+ Ways to Meet Customer Expectations And Exceed Them to Drive Predictable Growth
- Discover more from Erik Jensen – How to Use Strategic Positioning to Drive Predictable ROI And Growth
- Learn from Jim Barnish Jr. – How to Create a Predictable Revenue Stream That Rapidly Drives Growth
- Check out the article – 20+ Powerful Marketing Strategies You Should Copy to Grow Your Company Fast
- Learn from Karthik Suresh – How to Successfully Manage Your Product Development Process to Drive Growth With Insider Secrets
- Learn more from Sharekh Shaikh – From Fraud to Quality: How to Use Trusted Market Research Environments to Drive Growth
Connect with Oscar
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s Predictable B2B Podcast episode! If the information in our interviews has helped your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!