Most salespeople are not good at partnering with clients. They tend to focus on the transaction and not on building trust with clients, which is needed for long-term success.
The way to build trust with clients is by focusing on outcomes instead of transactions. This means that you need to make sure your client’s needs are met in a way that doesn’t leave them feeling like they got ripped off or taken advantage of. You do this by working together as partners towards achieving their goals rather than just trying to sell something to them.
In this post, we’ll explore what building trust with clients takes and gain insights from world-class expert – Fred Copestake including his framework and use of PQ (Partnering Questionnaire). So you can learn how to partner effectively, develop your partnering skills and create an environment where both parties benefit from the partnership.
Fred is the author of ‘Selling Through Partnering Skills’ and the principal consultant at Brindis, the consultancy he founded in 2004. A major project for Brindis being the planning and implementation of the ‘Coronacademy’. Working with Grupo Modelo, the Mexican brewer of Corona Extra, he oversaw training and other development initiatives for its EMEA distributors.
Fred has worked in more than 35 countries delivering projects that range from developing sales skills for Middle Eastern healthcare companies to account development and sales leadership in Latin America and Europe for IT and engineering multinationals.
In this episode, Fred shares his experience and knowledge to help us become better at building trust with clients that drive predictable growth.
Some topics we discussed include:
- There is a lot of hype around sales and a big number-crunching focus, but what does sales really entail
- Building trust with clients by partnering with them
- How to introduce this idea of partnering and its development process within an organization
- What is PQ
- Fred’s framework to develop our partnering skills
- Indicators to know that you have built enough trust with clients
- Building trust with clients by having a good dialogue
- How to get comfortable with interdependence and outcome enabled plans
- A key element to building trust with clients that most salespeople get wrong
- How to bring the various elements to bring value to a client
- and much much more…
Listen to the episode
Related links and resources
- Check out Brindis
- Get a copy of Fred’s book: Selling Through Partnering Skills: A Modern Approach to Winning Business
- Learn from Ari Galper – 5 Powerful Trust Based Selling Principles That Drive Business Growth
- Learn from Todd Caponi – How To Build Trust With Customers: 9 Rules To Abide By
- Learn from Tom Williams – What is B2B Sales and How to Create a Successful Sales Process
- Listen to my interview with Simone Vincenzi – How to Build a Personal Selling Process That Boosts Sales: 7 Steps
- Listen to my interview with Mark Welch – How to Craft an Action Plan to Improve Sales Performance
- Get even more inspiration with Sean Whitford – Generating Demand to Boost Growth: How to Use Demand Generation Strategies
Connect with Fred
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Predictable B2B Podcast! If the information in our interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!