In the old models of selling, the salesperson was solely focused on closing the deal. They would not help prospects or customers by explaining the product or providing useful resources. This is no longer the case. Salespeople have a new standard and it’s called “always be helping.” If you’re more focused on closing than helping potential prospects, you are missing out.
What types of behaviors really separate high-performing salespeople from the rest? Is it their knowledge of the product or service? Their communication and presentation skills? Their technical skills? The answer is no, no, and no.
It turns out, that salespeople who perform at high levels share some common behavioral tendencies, and the most important of these is an ability to put the needs of others above their own. While these are sound principles, the process of putting them into practice can be a challenge.
The old model of the “always be closing” mentality is broken. According to the Harvard Business Review, nurturing the relationship is now more important than the initial contact, and is a better predictor of future success. In today’s competitive market, you need customer-obsessed employees who have an “always be helping” mindset and it starts at the top with your executive leadership, who should be leading by example.
Dan Tyre is the Director of Sales at HubSpot. He joined HubSpot as a member of the original team in May of 2007 and has led the recruiting, training, and growth of HubSpot’s sales team with vigor. Dan is an authority on inbound marketing and sales and is a regular speaker, writer, and coach to those who yearn for inbound success.
At HubSpot, Dan pioneered the concept of alignment between sales and marketing known as “Smarketing,” a core tenet of inbound marketing now followed by thousands of companies around the world.
Outside of HubSpot, Dan leverages his 42 years of multidisciplinary business experience in sales, marketing, and service to help scale fast-growing companies and coach those that want to harness the power of Inbound Marketing to improve their bottom line.
In April 2018, he published a book with Wiley Business Press with Todd Hockenberry called Inbound Organization: How to Build and Strengthen Your Company’s Future Using Inbound Principles, and he regularly shares his knowledge through guest appearances on podcasts and as a speaker at worldwide events.
In this episode, he shares why and how we can shift from “always be closing” to “always be helping” to drive sales success and revenue growth.
Some topics we discussed include:
- What does it mean to be an inbound organization in today’s world
- The underlying principles of inbound that make it work so well
- What does it look like to always be helpful as an organization
- Why Dan suggests we move away from using marketing and sales funnels
- Why use sales flywheels as opposed to sales funnels
- From an “always be helping” perspective – what does creating a sales flywheel entail and what does it look like
- Key elements to scaling a business for an organization that is looking to always be helping
- and much much more …
Listen to the episode
Watch the episode with Dan Tyre
Related links and resources
- Check out HubSpot
- Check out Dan’s personal site
- Get a copy of the Inbound Organization: How to Build and Strengthen Your Company’s Future Using Inbound Principles
- Learn from Wayne Mullins – Evangelism Marketing: What is it And How to Use it to Drive Growth
- Learn from Sagar Sethi – What is Thought Leadership Marketing? A Guide to Guaranteed Growth Fast
- Learn from Shep Hyken – How to Build Customer Trust And Loyalty to Drive Business Growth
- Learn from Michael Laps – Data-Driven Decision Making Examples: How to Leverage Customer Insights to Drive Growth
- Learn more from Michael Brenner – The Importance of Building Customer Relationships: 11 Ways to Build Them
- Check out the article – How to revive your content marketing with cartoons
- Check out the article – 100+ Powerful B2B Content Marketing Statistics You Need to Know
- Check out the article – Content Marketing Planning: How to Craft a Proven Yet Winning Content Strategy
- Check out the article – How to Build Your Business With Content Marketing: A BS-free Guide to Content Marketing Strategies for Startups
- Check out the article – What is Brand Value and How to Use it Drive Growth
- Learn from Sam Shepler – 9+ Proven Ways to Create a Successful Customer Driven Marketing Strategy
- learn from Emilia Chagas – How to Drive Growth With a Content Marketing Strategy
- Listen to my interview with Liam Carnahan – Content Marketing for Startups: How to Drive Growth With The Right Strategy
- Listen to my interview with Prarthana Sibal – Storytelling in Content Marketing: How to Drive Growth Fast
Connect with Dan
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Predictable B2B Podcast! If the information in our interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!