It’s a well-known fact that (software as a service) SaaS marketing is different from other forms of digital marketing. In fact, it takes its own unique approach.
However, not many people know where to start, what to focus on, and how to do it best.
This podcast episode and post is all about SaaS marketing strategy what it is, what it stands for, how it differs from other forms of marketing, and how to build an effective SaaS marketing strategy. We will look at many different aspects of SaaS marketing strategy, from what it is to tried and tested marketing tactics, and it will even look at how you can craft your own marketing strategy to suit your business.
Alan Gleeson is a London-based B2B SaaS marketing consultant with a particular interest in supporting tech startups to generate leads and grow their businesses.
Alan started his career in financial services, joining Barclays in its graduate program. During his time at Barclays he joined Freeserve on secondment, then one of the poster boys for the ‘dot com’ boom. He subsequently joined Palo Alto Software, a leading Software as a Service (SaaS) company in 2004 where he acted as the Managing Director for the European subsidiary for a number of years.
More recently Alan has worked for a number of leading B2B SaaS startups, in a mix of full-time and consultancy engagements. These include the likes of Cognism (one of the fastest-growing SaaS companies in the UK) and Indeemo (a leader in the emerging mobile ethnography space).
In this episode, he shares how we can use B2B SaaS marketing to drive growth fast and scale internationally.
Some topics we discussed include:
- Why the pursuit of quick wins is a problem in the B2B SaaS world
- How to navigate the mind-shift required to enable leaders to see B2B SaaS marketing through a different lens
- How to balance the desire for hockey stick growth vs organic growth
- What should companies be doing to future proof themselves and scale, given the trends we are seeing today
- What should companies entering the European market be aware of
- How should European companies entering North America prepare themselves
- Does it make sense to find locals to help navigate the cultural nuances of going international
- Marketing skillsets and indicators to look for in a potential hire
- How to best handle content needs when going to international markets
- How Alan addresses the issue of marketing attribution
- and much much more …
Listen to the episode
Related links and resources
- Check out Work with Agility
- Learn from Joe Davy – 7+ Customer Engagement Marketing Strategies to Make You a Pipeline Hero
- Learn from Vivek Nanda – How to Craft Powerful Audience Engagement Strategies That Drive Growth
- Check out the article – 20+ Powerful Marketing Strategies You Should Copy to Grow Your Company Fast
- Learn from Aron North – 7 Ways to Bring Empathetic Marketing Into Your Growth Strategy
- Learn from Thibaud Clément – How to Fuel Growth with a Social Media Marketing Content Strategy
- Learn from Ajit Ghuman – SaaS Pricing Models: A Guide to Crafting the Right SaaS Pricing Strategies
- Check out the article – How to Create a Powerful Diversity Marketing Strategy That Drives Growth With Examples
- Check out the article – Lift-off Strategy: How to Boost Business Growth With an Empathy-Driven Content Marketing Strategy
- Check out the article – How Rob Walling Bootstrapped Drip into a 7 Figure SaaS Business
- Check out the article – Content Marketing Planning: How to Craft a Proven Yet Winning Content Strategy
- Listen to my interview with Christina del Villar – 4 Key Elements For a B2B Go To Market Strategy That Drives Growth
- Listen to my interview with Sonya Keenan – The Best Ways to Use Growth Marketing with a Simple Framework
- Listen to my interview with Julius Geis – How to Create Brand Development Strategies for Growth-Driven B2B Marketing
- Listen to my interview with Steve Sims – How to Craft a Referral Marketing Strategy That Boosts Growth
- Learn from Sam Shepler – 9+ Proven Ways to Create a Successful Customer-Driven Marketing Strategy
Connect with Alan
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Predictable B2B Podcast! If the information in our interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!