The best way to drive growth is by selling to other businesses. Understanding your types of buyers otherwise referred to as customers (and potential customers) is a key skill for any business leader. But knowing how to segment or categorize your customers is even more important. It helps you dig deeper into what’s important to each buyer.
This understanding is also important to sales and marketers. Marketers need to understand a buyer to sell to them effectively. This means you need to understand what motivates buyers and what their needs are. You also need to understand how you can help them. The easiest way to understand a buyer is to identify the 3 common types of buyers.
The trick is to identify what type of buyer you are talking to and tailor your language and skills to best suit the buyer. You can have great product knowledge and be able to answer all the questions, but if you don’t apply the skills to suit the type of buyer you are talking to, you may find that you aren’t selling to them. Here are 3 types you need to be aware of and how to recognize them.
Ryan Dohrn, is an amazing entrepreneur, author, and sales training, expert. He is also a motivational speaker – who has given more than 1000 keynotes!
He is known as the “funny sales guy” and has won an Emmy for marketing excellence while working for ABC TV/Walt Disney Co. (He has a great sound studio too by the way where he does his podcasting.)He was recognized by Forbes.com with the “Best of the Web” award for his business strategies.
He’s the creator of the “RD Way,” which is a unique method for finding out what customers want before trying to sell to them – and to date, he’s generated over $100 million in sales for his clients and himself collectively.
Ryan also has three books: Selling Forward: Pandemic Tested Sales Strategies for Success; Selling Backwards; and How To Be A Manager Without Being A Jerk.
The books are essentially designed to help sales professionals and entrepreneurs (who are essentially salespeople) discover exactly what their customers want to buy so that they can have sales success without stress.
In this episode, Ryan shares how we can identify 3 different buyer types and how to sell to each one to drive growth.
Some topics we discussed include:
- The power that marketing brings to the equation
- What are the 3 types of buyers we encounter the most
- Why understand buyer personalities to connect better with them
- Why the depth of relationships matter and how to measure it
- Customer needs assessments (CNA) seem to be a vital part of every sales plan. Why Ryan does not like the CNA
- Why invest in personality profiling of potential customers (types of buyers)
- Do we need to revise the way we ask for a sale from different types of buyers
- How to host virtual calls that close sales
- and much much more …
Listen to the episode
Related links and resources
- Check out Ryans’s site
- Learn from Merit Kahn – Complex Sales Process: How to Design a Powerful Process That Drives Growth
- Learn from Chaz Horn – How to Craft a Powerful B2B Sales Process to Easily Drive Growth Now
- Learn from Casey Cheshire – How to Start Sales Conversations That Drive Growth: 7 Keys to Success
- Learn from Brynne Tillman – Social Selling on LinkedIn: How to Simply Drive Growth Fast
- Learn from Matthew Hunt – 5 Demand Generation Marketing Strategies to Drive Pipeline Growth
- Learn more Seth Erickson – Storytelling For Startups: 7 Tips For Powerful Growth
- Learn from Dr. Stephen Timme – Insight Selling: How to Increase Pipeline With Powerful Data
- Check out the article – 20+ Powerful Marketing Strategies You Should Copy to Grow Your Company Fast
- Check out the article – Brand Credibility: How to Build it and Drive Growth Via Your Online Presence
- Check out the article – How to Create Content for Each Stage of the Buyer’s Journey
Connect with Ryan
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Predictable B2B Podcast! If the information in our interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!