How to identify business opportunities is a key skill for entrepreneurs, executives and investors.
Regardless of how long you have been in business, it can be difficult to know when to consider a business opportunity. With so much going on and competing priorities, it’s easy to know when something is too good to be true. It’s important to have the right skills to be discerning. Here are the skills you need to know how to identify business opportunities effectively.
For businesses, there will always be that “next project” or “one more client” that you crave to take on. In the midst of focusing on your existing business, there is always a temptation to take on projects or clients that you suspect will not benefit your business. However, you need to keep the focus on your existing business rather than on the next “promising” project.
Business opportunities can come from all sorts of places. You might be looking for new customers or looking for new marketing channels. Whatever your goal, knowing how to look for business opportunities is an essential skill for any business. In this podcast episode we will look at how to be discerning with the skills needed to identify and seize business opportunities.
Gene Valentino was the founding President of CellularOne, a pioneering visionary of the online payment industry, is a serial entrepreneur, VC, investor, local government leader, major motion picture award-winning executive producer, race car driver, recreational pilot, Dive Master, Adjunct Professor at Pensacola State College, has interests in real estate, hospitality industry, and life sciences.
Gene has over 8 years of public service. He was up close and personal as County Commissioner with the citizens in his precincts within his county. Several times each week, Gene had his “Coffee with the Commissioner” sessions at various coffee shops throughout the County, unlike most other elected officials.
Gene wrote the first economic development incentive ordinance of the law, providing incentives for business. The focus was on jobs. He traveled to Farnborough, England, Paris, and Berlin to meet world-class businesses to identify their needs and to lobby for their interest in bringing their businesses to the Panhandle of Florida.
Gene is a ‘rags to riches’ story. His life is filled with designing, creating, developing, operating, and growing innovative enterprises through life stories of trials and tribulations.
In this episode, he shares an investor’s and VCs perspective on how we can identify business opportunities to invest for profitable short-term exits.
Some topics we discussed include:
- How to identify business opportunities to invest in
- What some companies don’t realize in their quest to grow fast
- How to identify business opportunities via research and analysis
- Examples of businesses that Gene has invested in and how he went about it
- The trust signals Gene looks for in a potential business investment
- Why Gene examines the context of the marketplace for a business investment
- How to decide whether to invest for the long term or short term
- and much much more …
Listen to the episode
Related links and resources
- Check out Gene’s personal site
- Learn from Simon Bedard – How to Grow Your Business Online to Boost The Business Valuation
- Learn from Santi Bibiloni – How Project Profitability Works to Drive Fast Business Growth
- Learn from Dee Bowden – 9 Top Customer Service Best Practices That Drive Growth via Business Collections
- Learn from Andrew Tarvin – How to Use Humor in Business Communication to Drive Business Results
- Learn more from Dr. Jeff Spencer – 10 Powerful Steps to Creating a Winning Mindset for Business Growth
- Check out the article – Lift-off Strategy: How to Boost Business Growth With an Empathy-Driven Content Marketing Strategy
- Listen to my interview with Joe Apfelbaum – How to Use LinkedIn For Business Development
- Listen to my interview with Joe Rizzo – 12+ LinkedIn Best Practices That Will Drive Business Growth
Connect with Gene
Subscribe to & Review the Predictable B2B Success Podcast
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of the Predictable B2B Podcast! If the information in our interviews has helped you in your business journey, please head over to Apple Podcasts, subscribe to the show, and leave us an honest review.
Your reviews and feedback will not only help me continue to deliver great, helpful content, but it will also help reach even more amazing founders and executives just like you!